25.4.11

Easter is my nemesis!

It's been 2 weeks since I've posted. Unfortunately, I've had a pretty sick baby which left me sleep deprived and exhausted. Babies are inoculated against rota virus but that didn't seem to make a difference. Poor girl, but she's better now. I really hope she never has to go through that again! It's akin to having severe food poisoning - constantly for about a week and a half - terrible!!

To say that I had a couple of cheat days this past weekend would be the understatement of the year! I have to say that I was completely out of control when it came to candy and had some interesting symptoms when I had some gluten as well. Easter dinner (yesterday) consisted of ham, mashed potatoes, carrots with dill and mac and cheese (homemade by my husband) and candy/chocolate/ice cream. I definitely could feel my sugar highs and crashes. The feelings seemed to be amplified since I hadn't had "sugar" per se in 6 weeks. And man, did I feel lethargic during the crashes and schizo on the highs! My husband made this incredible mac and cheese. Now I haven't had gluten in 6 weeks. I had 3 helpings. I had the most intense, stabbing intestinal cramping I've ever felt about 20 minutes later. 10 minutes after that and I spent the evening on the porcelain throne. My body was rebelling, infuriated with the onslaught of the gluten-y mass [re: mess] I ingested. I'm bloated, gassy, foggy and just have a feeling of general malaise. Yuck! I hate this. I've also noted that I'm having soft tissue sensitivity. A precursor to joint pain for me. Meaning that evening the slightest touch on my skin feels like someone has punched me in that spot.

I immediately upped my lupus meds because I knew that the next step would arthritic pain. So far so good. So for the next week, I'm back to my old dosage until I'm back on track. I'm back to strict paleo now. No sugar, processed food, dairy, grains. I hope that I don't have to go through the whole carb flu thing again but I'm thinking it may happen.

The interesting thing is that I'm not feeling guilty or even sad for my weekend indiscretions. I'm actually glad I cheated, I totally understand how different my body feels on sugar and gluten and I really, really don't like it. It's definitely an eye opener, I seriously never want to feel like this again.

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 15-Ounce Tubs (Pack of 2)So, I started with my coffee with a tbsp of coconut oil, 2 eggs and a fistful of leftover ham - delicious! This is my coconut oil of choice. It's great for baking as it has a hint of coconut flavour. If you want flavourless, you've got to get an oil that's more refined. Love this stuff! It is fabulous in the chocolate chip cookie recipe I posted before.

Alright, I'm spending the next week getting back on track and healing myself from the damage I did over the past 3 days. I'm also going to get back to journaling on a regular basis.

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Almost a year ago, before I knew about Paleo, I tried a no grain thing for a couple weeks based on something I'd read from a Danish doctor. I was still using yogurt and other stuff, but no grains.
    So I was late for something one day, grabbed an Amy's frozen meal from the freezer, which was vegan, but had rice, and noshed it. A bit later, my mom picked me up to go somewhere, and just a few blocks from my house I suddenly said, NO! I have to go home now!
    I literally crawled up the steps to my house, miserable with a sudden vicious cramp, and, as you put it, visited the throne. It was the oddest thing. Like a complete rejection of this meal I'd eaten practically daily with no problems two weeks earlier.
    That didn't stop me from reverting to my old ways, but now I've been off grains almost three months, so I shudder to think what would happen if I ate something.
    Glad you feel better. It's weird to think this is now a life choice, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 Researches REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete